Off we go to Melbourne, the Great Ocean Road, Kangaroo Island, Adelaide, the Barossa Valley, Broken Hill and across the top of NSW via Cobar and Moree to the Sunshine Coast of Queensland. From two weeks in our favourite resort there, we work our way down the coast, staying in places such as Kingscliff, Clunes, Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie to visit lovely family and friends before landing in Newcastle for a few days to see more loved ones, including my wonderful mother.

This trip is for Jon and me– tailor made for us, by us, starting 4 days after Jon’s 60th birthday. We will no doubt miss ‘Rockview’, our friends in Cooma and especially our darlings, Charlie and Jeni, but we are more than ready to hit the road and get outta town!

Tuesday 26 June 2012

The Last Resort


 On our last day in the ‘resort phase’ of our trip, we are discussing what we love about staying in resorts.



Life is relaxed. Everything is here, so that we can choose specific activities as the mood dictates or just slowly gravitate to them as the day unfolds.  As the Restaurant Manager at Pacific Bay advised me at breakfast, “Stay for a while and sit in the sun near the water, have another coffee and read the paper. Wait until 12 and order a bottle of wine. Why not?”



 When we go out for the day, we love coming home, not just to a lovely suite or apartment but to the whole place. It has a village atmosphere that is comforting. Yes, I know it’s an artificial village populated with temporary residents, but everyone accepts that and for the time we are here, it’s real.



 We love resorts at this time of year, when the pool or restaurant or bar has only a few other couples or families. At times, some conference delegates intrude, but usually we don’t have to queue or compete with anyone else. We sit by almost deserted pools, walk along beaches and pass perhaps four or five people.

The view before us feels as if it’s only for us and when we do pass someone else, we nod and smile, not minding sharing , instead silently congratulating each other on the wisdom of our choice.



And when we stay a long time, we notice that walking past the same scene each day often means seeing it in a different way each time, not just in a different light but noticing more details. The beauty is in the close up.




2 comments:

  1. wow pixie. it must be tough adjusting to the end of your current flurry of resort stays. I guess you'll soon return to a more mundane lifestyle for a few days before you head off somewhere else. I must say the white chairs reminiscent of tulips and wine glasses have grabbed my attention. were they extremely comfortable? did they also tilt backwards? the base offers a hint of the eames and I like that but I feel the seat might be a little no narrow for someone with a wide rear end like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Biro- those chairs did remind me of you when we were there. (Peppers at Salt) They were fairly comfortable - perfect for a long morning tea stop, and I recall that they did tilt backwards a little.

    I'm not sure if it will be tough adjusting or not. It feels so nice to be home- but I am finding it hard to get used to the cold again! And sometimes, mundane is good. Mundane is just right. Mind you, there is nothing mundane about my family or where I work or my friends, so I think I'll be OK! x

    ReplyDelete