Off we go to Melbourne, the Great Ocean Road, Kangaroo Island, Adelaide, the Barossa Valley, Broken Hill and across the top of NSW via Cobar and Moree to the Sunshine Coast of Queensland. From two weeks in our favourite resort there, we work our way down the coast, staying in places such as Kingscliff, Clunes, Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie to visit lovely family and friends before landing in Newcastle for a few days to see more loved ones, including my wonderful mother.

This trip is for Jon and me– tailor made for us, by us, starting 4 days after Jon’s 60th birthday. We will no doubt miss ‘Rockview’, our friends in Cooma and especially our darlings, Charlie and Jeni, but we are more than ready to hit the road and get outta town!

Thursday 17 May 2012

hhhmmmmMelbourne


Melbourne, hmmmm, can’t fully make up my mind about it. I like it, but don’t love it. I’ve enjoyed our time here, but I wouldn’t rush to come back. 

The main reason I’ve enjoyed it so much is, I think, because it’s the start of our little road trip and we are staying in a 5 star hotel that I adore. 

Melbourne certainly is a foodie’s paradise, but there’s more to life than food. (Well, at my age, I need there to be!) I wish I could stroll through every interesting laneway and have a coffee stop at every second cafe or enter every restaurant whose menu I’ve read and salivated over, but I’m just not up to the amount of exercise I’d need to work all that off. It’s also a great place to shop, but, and my friends at www.birdsnest.com.au  may not understand how I can say this,  I just don’t feel like going into too many shops this week. (Maybe when I lose all these kilos through the KILOMETRES of walking I’m doing!) I want something more from a new city.



It has sports, the arts, gardens galore etc, but it’s just not grabbing me like so many other cities have. I do love the pockets that remind me of European cities, but it never seems to quite settle into one type of place.
If you lived here, you would, of course see another side of Melbourne, carving out your life among people and places and pastimes that were tailor made for you. The same may well apply to it as a place to visit. If you were to come here for, say, a sporting event such as the Australian Open or a Test Match or the Melbourne Cup, you would have a ball. So much to enjoy during the day and then a different restaurant or club every night. Perfect.
If you think that all sounds too negative, it’s not meant to be. We have enjoyed the routine of not having a routine, the exploration of a new place, setting out each day wondering what we’ll find and learning the ways of the city in the process. We’ve been happy little tourists and have found much to like about Victoria’s capital, including the people of course, who seem settled and happy.  (even the ones in suits having morning coffee meetings while we’re still lingering over brekky)

8 comments:

  1. Jan I miss you x Reading your blog feels like you are still sitting opposite me. Keep up the good work :) oh and keep having fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey pixie. from one who has travelled and visited so many cities, I know your critique of melbourne is delivered with the measured balance of a commercial kitchen scale and the honesty of a village bakery. I guess I'd enjoy the big sponge for its arts and design focus. Looking forward to your next report! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Holly! Miss you too- LOTS of fabulous clothes shops here for you to enjoy! And yes, still having fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. And a measured comment by you too Biro! I wonder what the deleted one was?? Speaking of bakeries and kitchen scales, so much good food to be had in Victoria!! And yes, each person has his own focus for the city I believe...I think I like places that are just a little prettier as well perhaps?? I did think of you often in the galleries and I do LOVE Federation Square!! Could hang out there all day.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Biro- I did write more on Melbourne in More On Melbourne in this very blog...have to figure out how to link pages

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you "sort of" enjoyed Melbourne now the open road is yours. Be wild, run free, let the wind blow thru your hair.....not so much Jon's. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a witty one Curly One!! Actually it was windy today. Did lots of hopping out and back in to the car. Jon's hair stayed in place, luckily!
    I think Melbourne would definitely grow on me if I spent more time there...but the road calls......

    ReplyDelete