Off we go to Melbourne, the Great Ocean Road, Kangaroo Island, Adelaide, the Barossa Valley, Broken Hill and across the top of NSW via Cobar and Moree to the Sunshine Coast of Queensland. From two weeks in our favourite resort there, we work our way down the coast, staying in places such as Kingscliff, Clunes, Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie to visit lovely family and friends before landing in Newcastle for a few days to see more loved ones, including my wonderful mother.

This trip is for Jon and me– tailor made for us, by us, starting 4 days after Jon’s 60th birthday. We will no doubt miss ‘Rockview’, our friends in Cooma and especially our darlings, Charlie and Jeni, but we are more than ready to hit the road and get outta town!

Saturday 19 May 2012

Was that really me?

As we drive (rather sedately we feel) along this magnificent and historic stretch of road that is The Great Ocean Road, I look ahead, but mostly back in wonder, to think that once upon a time, in another lifetime, I actually cycled this same route.

I know that it was 30 years ago, but I must have felt incredibly optimistic or been super naive. Some of the hills and narrow sections are frightening. But that is my current self talking.

I see groups of cyclists, decked out in VERY serious cycling gear, rather different from our little group, and I either overtake them oh so steadily or wave and smile at them madly. Perhaps I am waving at my younger self.

I find myself getting lost as we drive along, thinking of that group of five. I don't remember specific places but I welcome a certain familiarity in many of them. I think I have clearer memories of the photos. I do remember a lot of laughing as well as singing out our favourite saying, "There's no shame in stopping" and the obligatory "There's no such thing as a bad red wine" as we settled into our camping ground for the night.

Yes. Me. Cycling AND camping.

I have witnesses.

These aren't as serious as some I've seen, but seeing them at this lookout made me think I may have a similar photo at home.

LOVE the blue and the rocks

No comments:

Post a Comment